Sunday, November 30, 2008

A new month

A lot is going on but I've been lazy about blogging, I guess because it all seems so trivial in the grand scheme of life. I am glad it is the last day of November as this has been an emotional month. I was surprised at how much my father's passing effected me ... not in a sad way, but I have thought about him and his widow every day, several times a day. Before this month I would go months on end without either of them crossing my mind.

It was also an emotional month because so many of my co-workers lost their job. The investment industry has especially been hit hard with this depressing economy, and in order to keep a positive balance sheet my employer laid off almost one-in-five workers, including many talented people. If the market sustains another 15% decline then we will probably loose some more. I am very thankful to keep my job and pray everyday for those effected not only at my company but the thousands of others out there laying off too.

I look forward to a fresh new December. I'll close this "thanksgiving month" with a list of things that I am thankful for:
-- good neighbors and friends who invite us to spend holidays with them
-- good health
-- God given talents that I can use many different ways especially sharing with others
-- a job that allows me to provide not only necessities to live but also fruitful things like Christmas presents and nice vacations
-- my daughter, sisters, and other family members who make me feel loved
-- my church and the freedom to worship how I please

No comments: