Wednesday, December 24, 2008

White Christmas

The weatherman said we have snow on Christmas day about every 5 or 6 years in Missouri. I can only remember once in my life that we've had a white Christmas ... and this will be my 40th Christmas living in Missouri.

I'm the first to admit that with each passing year I become less and less interested in the Christmas season. I try not to be grinchie, but come on, we've commercialized it beyond belief. Did you know that Americans spend $450 billion during the season? Did you also know that it would take only $10 billion to make sure everyone in the world had a clean water supply ... and that lack of clean water kills more people everyday than anything else in the world? If we Americans would save $1 of every $45 we spend on Christmas we could make this world a better place to live. Consumerism does not equal happiness.

I received a Christmas letter today from a co-worker. I like getting Christmas letters especially from people I don't see often. This letter really touched me. Instead of reviewing everything her family did this year, she spoke of how she saw Jesus this year, where He touched her life, and how she responded to Him. The letter was humorous, yet inspiring. She said she saw Him several times on their 2,370 mile motorcycle journey through the Rocky Mountains ... in the beauty created, but also He was with her on the icey passes.

Thanks to Riley for bearing with me as I didn't want to pull all of the decorations out of the closet and fight with the 9-ft tree. We (really, just she) created a cute little corner in the living room to decorate. I actually really like it ... simple, yet seasonal. She also strung lights around our front window and set them up on a timer. I am very thankful for her, not only putting up with grouchy mom, but being independent while she made our house more of a home.

So with the snow on the ground and many houses all decorated in lights and 10-foot blow-up Santa's dancing in the wind, I am finally in the Christmas mood. It took until Christmas Eve, but I got here, just in time to head off to church service in about an hour to worship the Prince of Peace and celebrate the life and salvation He gave us.

Merry Christmas to all my family and friends. Peace to all throughout the world.

1 comment:

MS said...

It gets more and more difficult for me to buy into all the decorations at Christmas too. But with kids, I think you need to fake it 'til you feel it.
I like the idea of the Christmas letter about Jesus. How cool.