Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A new room

Spring Break! Our exciting adventures this year takes us to Riley's room.
  • On Monday we went shopping for a new bedroom set and was successful after only 5 hours.
  • Tuesday was cleaning day, she boxed up all her stuff and removed it from her room -- all the way to the hall bathroom!
  • Wednesday was the real working day. We used the electric sander and removed and/or smoothed out the rainbow paint and primed the wall and around the ceiling and floors. Most of the old furniture is removed. After a trip to Home Depot we have 2 gallons of "Egyptian Nile" paint and various painting supplies.
  • Tomorrow (Thursday) the walls will be painted and then the carpets will be steam cleaned.
  • Friday the new furniture arrives and the (a fraction of) her stuff will return to the room.
A little history of the rainbow ... Riley's favorite part of our house when we moved in was her bright pick room with the wide teddy bear border ... she was 4 yrs old. After only one year she decided pink was not her style (and definitely not mine) and wanted a blue room with giant rainbow. I was all too eager to get rid of the pink room so I spent 3 days removing the ugly border and painting the walls sky blue. My good friend's wife, Tami, spent 8 hrs helping me one Saturday evening painting the rainbow. We used rust-oleum paint that was very thick created a texture on the wall. I dreaded the day she outgrew the rainbow because I knew the texture would need to be smoothed. I spent about 6 hours sanding it down, peeling it off, and applying mud to repair holes I created in the drywall! Riley has been a trooper and a huge help! She wanted to get it painted tonight but my back needed some rest.

I'll post a picture in a few days to show the friuts of our labor.

1 comment:

MS said...

Did you find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?