Sunday, January 18, 2009

Motivating news

Usually the current news bores me ... seems like the stories are the same old ones recycled from last year. If it's not lackluster then it's depressing; other child abuse case, another murder on the streets, another teenage hooligan was arrested. Maybe it's age that fuels my cynicism.

However this week was different. A commercial jet doesn't crash everyday, and never can I remember a large plane wreck that didn't have any casualities. I have to say that I have been encouraged hearing about the crash of US Airways Flight 1549 into the Hudson River.

Watching news reports and recaps of Thursday's event amazes me at how 155 people on the plane had to work together beyond selflessness to get everyone out safely. With today's economy sinking and all the political conflict in the middle east this sends a message of hope to most.

Could it be that this event happened simply because the country needed an inspiring story to lift our spirits?

No comments: