Sunday, July 19, 2009

Addition


Back in March our church youth pastor ask if we'd be willing to host his girlfriend for the summer. Riley and I discussed and decided we have plenty of room and it would be fun to have a house guest!

Riley & I worked hard during May to clean out the spare room (Matt even helped some) and Amanda arrived May 25th car packed to the rim. Right away she fit in with our little family.

She and Matt grew up together in the small town in northwest Pennsylvania. Matt attended undergraduate school in Nashville and just finished his first year of seminary here in Kansas City. Amanda has been attending a small college in Ohio.

Before she arrived she decided not to return to her school in Ohio, but rather move to KC and got to cosmetology school. My first thought was that she was altering her future for a man .... (big no-no) but I soon learned that she was really just looking for a change in life. KC offered her the chance to get away and make anew, and Riley and I are excited to be a part of it. Unfortunately, she & Matt decided they were better off as friends.

Having her around the house is a blessing. She is a big sister to Riley and huge help to me. One of the best parts is that I've become more disciplined about eating dinner at home. It's much easier to resist the temptation for carry-out or dining-out when I know I have help at home. Often dinner is prepared when I get home and family dinners are enjoyable.

Next week she is taking Riley shopping for school clothes. This is a win-win situation because I despise this annual chore and I think those 2 girls are really looking forward to it!

In a month or so things will change. Amanda has lots of free time right now only working 18 hrs a week. She and Riley will be headed back to school and free time will be scarce for the both of them. I'll be running Riley around to her various activities and Amanda will be working in the evenings.

2 comments:

red said...

No doubt we need to take advantage of the free time we have now! So glad you and Riley are willing to have me here :) Also very grateful that you see I didn't move out here just for a guy, to me that's a big compliment.

Love you both :)

MS said...

Isn't it interesting how God crosses our paths? We think we're making decisions and doing things for one reason, and all the while God has other ideas in motion. :)